Friday, October 17, 2008

Gerrard Haunted By 'That' Miss


Steven Gerrard admits he is already getting stick for his incredible miss against Belarus - and fears it will come back to haunt him for years to come. Gerrard rounded the goalkeeper in Minsk with the score at 3-1 and incredibly hit the post from only two yards out.

In the end it didn't matter as England won comfortably to make it four World Cup victories in a row. But Gerrard, who scored England's opener from 30 yards, says his awful cock-up should act as a warning to young players.

The Liverpool man said: "I'm sure I will get a lot of stick for missing the chance of scoring a second. The texts were flooding in when I checked my phone after the match.

"It is a lesson to any kids watching that you have to keep working on your weaker foot. I should have used my left but tried my right instead."

Even so, Gerrard insists the embarrassment of his miss won't take anything away from a fantastic team performance in Minsk.

He said: "We played really well because we knew it would be difficult. Belarus are a good team with some fantastic results. It is very good result away from home. We knew beforehand that it was a very difficult tie. They are a good team and it is credit to us that we got a massive three points.

"It was important we respected them and after the first-half we needed to improve - and we did that. The main thing is we are sitting top of the group and we have made history."

Gerrard also felt he played well in the game, despite his late blunder, and is happy that England, who don't' play another competitive game until April 2009, have started their campaign so well.

He added: "We're top of the league going into the New Year, and that's great. You want to play all the time when you're winning, but the friendly against Germany on November 19 gives the manager the chance to try new things and different personnel, so I'm sure when qualifying comes round again we will be even better again.

"As for me, I think when you're playing for England you always have a point to prove. You're fighting for your shirt every game. It's nice to get a goal and a win. People always speak about me and Lampard and where we should play, but as long as I'm in the team I'm happy.

"I felt I played well. Every game is important for my country and I try to play as well as I can. I haven't always hit the heights id like to but I will always give my all for my country."

One player who did hit the heights, however, was Gerrard's great friend Wayne Rooney who scored twice to continue his remarkable form under Fabio Capello.

Gerrard said: "To have scored five goals in three games is superb. When we get Wayne in that kind of form he certainly improves our team.

"We are still building and we need to keep working hard.

"When Wayne is on form he's up there with the best in the world. He's such a special talent, his understanding and awareness are absolutely fantastic and it's great to play with him."

No comments: