Monday, October 13, 2008

Foreign Invasion Worries Carragher


Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has gone public with his concern at the growing number of foreign players coming through the academy ranks of professional clubs, believing that it could be demoralising for the home-grown talent hoping to make their way in the game.

Over the last decade the number of overseas players plying their trade in England has rocketed, and with an increasing number of clubs in the Premier League currently owned by foreign investors, that figure could continue to grow.

At Liverpool, Steven Gerrard is the last English player to break into - and earn a regular place - within the first-team, and Carragher believes that the almost 10-year drought will continue should clubs fail to look to develop players themselves rather than cashing in on overseas clubs’ hard work.

This is a view shared by Uefa President Michel Platini, while the head of Fifa, Sepp Blatter, is another to concur with the belief that clubs should look to produce home-grown players rather than importing them.

"The foreign player issue has to be addressed. At all clubs,” Carragher told the Sunday Times. "Don't get me wrong, good foreigners are great for the Premier League but what worries me is when we get foreign kids in at 16, 17.

"There has to be something to stop that, to help clubs keep their identities. I think about when I was that age. If I'd been 18 and Liverpool had brought the Spain Under 18 captain into my position it would have been deflating.

"I always thank my stars I came in just as the foreign invasion was starting. I wasn't Stevie (Gerrard) at 18. I was a very good player and would have always had the mental strength to take my opportunity, but I wonder whether I'd have been given it.

"I don't know when the next Liverpool lad will break into our first-team and I don't think the academy system is what it should be."

The experienced defender also took the opportunity to reiterate his desire to see out his career at Anfield, insisting that he only has ambitions to play for his home-town club.

"For someone to ask, 'Who did you play for?' and to be able to answer a single name, 'Liverpool', that would be brilliant. I don't think I'll ever leave," he added.

Carragher also shed some light on manager Rafe Benitez’s man-management style, insisting that the harsh nature of his control is for the benefit of the team.

"Rafa is always on your back," the former England international continued.

"Some players can't handle that. Me, I don't like it but I'm the sort of person who responds.

"You've always got that thing in the back of your mind with Rafa, 'Does he actually think I'm any good?' You're always wanting to prove yourself. He hasn't got much good to say about anyone, Rafa. . . even other managers.

"He's the person who always thinks he knows best for you - and is usually right. There are times you want to tell him to . . . but later you think, 'That was good for me'."

No comments: