Monday, September 08, 2008

Steven Gerrard: I'm Suffering Because I Can Play Various Roles

Liverpool and England midfielder Steven Gerrard feels his game has suffered because of his versatility.

The 28-year-old favours a central position but has frequently been used on the left and right with both club and country.

Gerrard told the Sunday Times: “I’ve paid the price for being able to do a decent job in other positions.

“Other players don’t get shunted around because they can’t do it. I can’t go and play on the right or the left and become Kaka or Robinho, I just go out there, give 100% and do a steady job.

“I’ll work hard, do my bit defensively and help the team. That’s why managers do it to me, but it is affecting me.

“My game suffers when my position is changed. I’m a central midfielder and in the big games I want to play in the middle and show that I’m one of the very best in that position.

“I’ve played in my favourite position for England five times in 68 games. What can you do? I go into training with England and try to prove myself every day.

“Every England manager I’ve worked under knows where I want to play, but they pick the formations and I play where I’m told.”

Gerrard will miss England’s crunch World Cup qualifying clash with Croatia on Wednesday after undergoing groin surgery.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez was hoping his captain would be fit to face Manchester United next weekend, but Gerrard insists that is too soon.

“I’ve a decent chance for the Champions League game in Marseille,” he continued.

“I’ve spoken to the manager and told him I’d like to do a certain amount of training before I come back. I don’t want to go into a big game only having had one session with the boys.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Undoubtedly, Gerrard is a victim of his own versatality. No questions about it. However, it is quite disappointing for him to be voicing his displeasure to the public.

While his displeasure is understandable, his remarks esp as captain of the club and during such trying times are appalling. Yes, Gerrard, he is brilliant and he is inspirational but just remember, no player is bigger than a club.