Monday, September 08, 2008

Gerrard Hopeful Of Premier League Glory


Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has his sights set on winning the Premier League before retirement.

The all-action midfielder has been hailed as a Reds legend at just 28 years of age, but admits his trophy cabinet is somewhat lean in comparison to past greats throughout Anfield history.

While the England international remains proud of his side's incredible comeback victory in the 2005 Champions League final, as well as FA Cup, League Cup and European Super Cup triumphs during his time with the club, the grand prize of the league has thus far passed him by.

The Reds have never won the Premier League, and have gone 18 years without a league title in any form, with bitter rivals Manchester United close to catching their all time record of 18, having just won their 17th last season.

"The memories of Istanbul will go to the grave with me," Gerrard told Liverpool's official website.

"There isn't a day goes by that I don't think about it, but I want more memories. I want to get on another open-top bus and see another million people on the streets of Liverpool, acclaiming the league title.

"The city will explode if we win the league, and I don't want it to happen when I'm retired. I'm 28 and realise the years are flying by.

"In November I'll have been a first-teamer for 10 years and yet it seems like I only made my debut two or three months ago, I've enjoyed it that much. I want from 28 to 35 to be even better, and I feel my best years are ahead of me.

"I don't want to retire and have just Istanbul and a couple of FA Cups to remember. It will be a disaster, personally, if I don't win the league here."

No comments: