Thursday, September 25, 2008

Skrtel Loving Life At Liverpool


Tough-tackling Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel says that he already feels perfectly at home in Merseyside despite barely being at the club for eight months.

A long-term injury to Daniel Agger convinced Rafael Benitez to sign Skrtel from Zenit St Petersburg as cover in January and since then the Slovakian has managed to exceed expectations by striking up an excellent partnership with Jamie Carragher in the heart of the Liverpool defence.

Skrtel, who has been warmly embraced by the club's fans, told Liverpool FC's official magazine: "I picked things up relatively quickly when I came into the team in January, but you don't have the chance to train intensively during that part of the season.

"We were playing most midweeks as well as most weekends so you cannot do much on the training pitch except recover, keep yourself fit and focus on your next opponent.

"But this summer I feel I have settled more into the team, he added.

"Having a pre-season alongside my team-mates has been an enormous help. If I have started the season well then this is probably the main reason for it.

"Now I can say that on the pitch I am one of the lads."

"I am happy at Liverpool, I feel like I belong here. I feel that I have improved a lot since I came here and I will continue to grow as the season progresses."

No comments: