Friday, August 01, 2008

Babel: I'll Be Fit And Ready


Holland striker Ryan Babel has given the nation’s fans a lift with the news that he will be fit for the Olympic tournament, which kicks off in just over a week.

The Liverpool striker risked the wrath of Rafa Benitez by joining up with the Dutch squad after tearing ligaments in his ankle during the build up to Euro 2008 in May, sidelining him for the competition in Austria and Switzerland.

The 21-year old was also expected to miss the start of the Premiership season, but the forward has now reiterated that he will be fit for Beijing after recovering quicker than anticipated.

“It is doing okay. I didn't have any moments throughout the game when it felt bad. It is definitely getting better,” Babel said.

“Last week I would say I was at about 85 per cent fitness and it has been difficult but it feels better.

“I think one more match and I will be ready for the Olympics.”

The player’s sentiments were given further credence as he came off the bench in Holland’s pre-Olympic match with Cameroon, scoring and setting another goal up as the side emerged 2-0 winners.

No comments: