Friday, July 25, 2008

Pacheco Yearns For Torres Union

Liverpool starlet Daniel Pacheco is relishing the prospect of lining up alongside compatriot Fernando Torres when The Reds take on Villarreal next week.

The 17-year old has impressed during his appearances for Rafa Benitez’s men in pre-season, adding credence to the growing reputation he has enjoyed in recent months.

Nothing, however, can match Torres’ meteoric rise up through world football, with El Nino scoring 33 goals in his debut season at Anfield before notching the winner for Spain in the Euro 2008 final.

Pacheco admits he one day hopes to emulate his fellow native, though the striker is prepared to exercise patience as he looks to break into Benitez’s first-team plans.

"I would love to play with Torres because he is such a great striker and it would be very special for me to be in the team with him," said Pacheco.

"He is Spanish also and he is a big hero for everyone in my country after he scored the winning goal in the Euro 2008 final.

"He is one of the best strikers around so I think I would learn a lot from him if I played in the team with him.

"I would have loved to have played in the team with Stevie as well but he had to go back to Liverpool because he had an injury.

"But I have really enjoyed playing alongside the other first team players and they have really helped me.

"I'm really happy to be playing with these players and to be involved during pre-season and until the boss tells me otherwise I will keep on playing and enjoying myself."

The youngster admitted that the transition from reserve football to first-team action caught him by surprise, but stated that he is prepared to train with vigour to continue his development.

"Everything is different to the football I have been playing in the reserve team," the Malaga-born player added.

"It is more competitive, faster, more difficult and you have to work harder but I am trying my best and now I just have to keep going.

"I don't know if I will still be in the team when the season starts though because that would be very difficult for me.

"The Spanish players have come back now and we will maybe have some new players as well so it would be tough for me to stay in the team.

"But I will continue to work hard every day and keep on going.

"I feel that I am playing quite well and that things are going well for me but, as I say, I cannot afford to stop working because that is the most important thing."

No comments: