Friday, July 25, 2008

Xabi Alonso Set For Talks On Anfield Future As Alvaro Arbeloa Edges To Exit Door

Xabi Alonso will hold talks with Rafael Benitez today to clarify his future at Liverpool – as Alvaro Arbeloa edged towards the exit door.

Alonso and Arbeloa return to training at Melwood today along with fellow Euro 2008 winners Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina.

And Alonso is expected to waste no time in asking Benitez whether he remains part of the manager’s long-term plans.

Liverpool were willing to sell the midfielder for £16million to Juventus earlier this month before the Italians pulled the plug on the deal and signed Sevilla’s Christian Poulsen instead.

The Anfield outfit had planned to then use the transfer fee to finance their move for Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.

But if Benitez decides Alonso remains an integral part of the squad, it could severely test his intent on pursuing Barry, with Liverpool refusing to raise their most recent offer for the England international.

Alonso has previously intimated he would have “no problem” staying at Liverpool.

One player likely to leave Anfield in the near future, however, is Arbeloa, who is understood to want a return to his homeland for personal reasons.

Liverpool should have no problems in cashing in on the defender, whose stock is at an all-time high following his part in helping Spain win the European Championships last month.

Meanwhile, 19-year-old French striker David Ngog – the cousin of former Newcastle United defender Jean-Alain Boumsong – has penned a four-year contract after yesterday completing his £1.5m move from Paris Saint-Germain.

Ngog, who is expected to challenge for a first-team place, has scored goals at every youth level for France including two against England under-19s last season.

A young forward to have already caught the eye for Liverpool during pre-season is Dani Pacheco.

The 17-year-old, prised from Barcelona last summer, has appeared in every one of Liverpool’s friendlies so far and is hopeful of playing alongside fellow Spaniard Torres.

“I would love to play with Torres because he is such a great striker and it would be very special for me to be in the team with him,” said Pacheco.

“He is Spanish also and he is a big hero for everyone in my country after he scored the winning goal in the Euro 2008 final.

“He is one of the best strikers around so I think I would learn a lot from him if I played in the team with him.

“But I have really enjoyed playing alongside the other first team players and they have really helped me.”

Meanwhile, Sebastian Leto has revealed he is close to agreeing a loan move to Olympiakos.

Leto hasn’t played a competitive game for the first team since the League Cup game against Cardiff City last October after problems concerning eligibility.

The Argentine currently holds an Italian passport to enable him to win a work permit, but Italian authorities are carrying out an investigation on the validity of a number of citizenship decisions.

Although Liverpool are confident the issues will be resolved next week, Benitez is allowing the 21-year-old to leave on a season-long loan.

“I spoke with Liverpool and our decision is to leave the club and to play somewhere else on loan for one season,” said Leto.

“I have to play football next season. My agents are in Athens.

“They speak with Olympiakos for my loan.

“I have some offers from Italy and Spain but Olympiacos is the best club for me at the moment.”

Leto, who has appeared in all four of Liverpool’s pre-season friendlies, added: “I am still waiting for the community passport. Liverpool will wait for it until July 31.

“Of course, my dream is to play football in Liverpool.

“I spoke with Rafa Benitez and he told me that he wants me but I can’t stay without the passport.

“He advised me to go somewhere else to play for one season and to return next summer.

No comments: