Thursday, February 28, 2008

Gerrard: No Prizes For Fourth


Steven Gerrard says this season is a failure for Liverpool - fans wouldn't have wanted second place in the league, never mind fourth.

Steven Gerrard has admitted his frustration with Liverpool's season.

The Reds may be in the Champions League still, but another season of hype and failure in the Premier League has really got the Anfield skipper down.

"You don’t get any prizes for finishing in second place - never mind fourth - in football," Gerrard said. "I don’t think the fans would accept it as an accomplishment and, for me, it’s not nearly good enough.

In the position we find ourselves in, fourth is the least that is acceptable between now and May - but we have bigger ambitions than that.

"I still believe we have the squad to be a hell of a lot more competitive than we are right now," he continued. "I’m a Liverpool fan and I believe the league is the most important trophy going.

"I’m pretty gutted every time I look at the table and see the gap between us and the top three. We believed we had the players to challenge for the title. We wanted that trophy more than any other one available to us. We’ve simply got to improve.”

No comments: