Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Daniel Agger Returns To Bolster Liverpool’s Defence

Daniel Agger is ready to bolster Liverpool’s defence after ending more than five months of injury torment with a run-out for the reserves.

The Denmark international, whose season has been ruined by a metatarsal injury, played 45 minutes for the second string in their 2-0 win against Manchester United at Warrington’s Halliwell Jones Stadium last night.

It was the 23-year-old’s first competitive action of any sort since the goalless draw at Portsmouth on September 15.

Under the watchful gaze of Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez, Agger – wearing a pair of specially-modified boots – came through unscathed and could now be in the frame for Sunday’s visit to Bolton Wanderers.

Agger was replaced at half-time by fellow centre-back Martin Skrtel, who was stepping his own recovery after suffering a calf problem in training a fortnight ago.

Harry Kewell and Xabi Alonso were also given 90 minutes against United, for whom a surprisingly portly Gary Neville returned from a lengthy injury absence with a 60-minute appearance.

In front of 10,546 fans, Alonso scored the opening goal from the spot in the 12th minute after Krisztian Nemeth was fouled by Gerard Pique.

Richard Eckersley was dismissed late on for United before Kewell sealed the 2-0 win with a breakaway goal in the final minute.

Meanwhile, Sami Hyypia is hopeful of earning a new contract to take him to 10 years at Anfield.

A number of clubs, including Fulham and Newcastle United, are thought to be monitoring Hyypia’s situation with his current contract due to expire in the summer.

But the 34-year-old admits clinching a new contract at Liverpool is his priority.

“My priority would be to stay at Liverpool, but it’s not only up to me,” said Hyypia.

“I haven’t got any offers yet from here or any other clubs, so I’m just trying to focus on the matches.

“I’m enjoying playing. I’ve played more games than I maybe thought I would this season because of all the injuries.

“The only thing I can do is try to play well, and when it’s time to sit down see what happens.

“It would be very nice to get to 10 years at the club but I’m just concentrating on playing well.”

Hyypia has made 33 appearances for Liverpool this season, although he faces competition for his place with Jamie Carragher now free from suspension and Skrtel and Agger both fit.

But the defender added: “Whether I stay wouldn’t depend on how many games I play. I’m not like that. I’m not interested in someone promising me anything. If we have four centre-backs, then everyone fights for their place and performances should determine who plays. If I keep playing well then it’ll be very difficult for the manager to change things.”

No comments: