Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lucas: I'm Learning From Gerrard And Xavi


Liverpool's Lucas Leiva has won over manager Rafael Benitez in recent weeks, having displaced fan favourite Xabi Alonso from the starting line-up...The midfielder has revealed he is learning a lot from the man's place he has taken, as well as his captain.

Speaking to the club's official website, Lucas explained what motivates him to perform.

"Whenever I play, in each game, I know I have to play well in order to stay in the team. Gerrard, Xabi and Mascherano are very good players," he said.

"I am learning a lot from them because they have played a lot of time in Europe, especially Gerrard and Xabi. They have won the European Cup.

"I am still young but I know I have potential to fight for a place in the team. Liverpool brought me here and Liverpool have confidence in me. I respect all the players but I need to fight for my position.

"Rafa always asks for a little bit more. He always says, 'you can improve' or 'you can play better'. And it's true. But he has confidence in me."

The 21-year-old also revealed how has been settling in in his new surroundings, insisting it is not as different as many may think. He has also extended thanks to countryman and team-mate Fabio Aurelio for helping him settle into the country and learn the language.

"My life is the Brazil life: very relaxed," declared the former Gremio starlet. "I like to stay home, not go out. The weather in the winter is more or less the same, though the nights are longer here. But I like Liverpool and all the people try to help me.

"Fabio [Aurelio] has been the most important player for me because he speaks the language, but everyone helps a lot.

"If I had a problem I would have called Fabio, but now I speak English quite well and can try to sort things myself.

No comments: