Friday, September 07, 2007

Mascherano Hails 'Saviour' Rafa


Liverpool ace Javier Mascherano has thanked Rafa Benitez for 'saving his career' after the Reds boss rescued him from his West Ham nightmare.

The Argentina midfielder endured a miserable spell with the Hammers during the first half of last season, before Benitez swooped to bring him to Anfield in the January transfer window.

Mascherano has been a revelation since his arrival on Merseyside and he has put his success down to Benitez's influence.

"Rafa saved my career when came for me at West Ham where I was not playing," said Mascherano.

"He came to see me in London and told me that he needed me.

"In that moment Benitez said to me that I could play in a good team like Liverpool. I really couldn't believe it as I wasn't playing at West Ham and he came to offer to me to play at Liverpool.

"In the beginning I had some problems for getting adapted to English football.

"I had arrived at West Ham, another country and even without knowing the language, a different culture, everything was very difficult. I even knew that I was not going to play each time I went to a training session.

"Now I am in one of the most important teams of the world and I really feel good.

"I speak with Benitez and everything is much more easier. Rafa saved my career."

No comments: