Thursday, September 12, 2013

Everton Switch Vindicates Liverpool Snub

Everton new boy James McCarthy insists he has no regrets about rejecting a move to Liverpool.

The midfielder, who joined the Toffees from Wigan in a £13million deal last week, turned down the chance to join Liverpool at the age of 16 following a successful trial.

McCarthy, now 22, went on to carve out a name for himself with Wigan.

And he believes his big-money move to Everton vindicates his decision to turn down the Reds.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder said: "There was talk of it [Liverpool]. Obviously I went down for a week's trial.

"It wasn't to be, I was too young at the time. I didn't want to move away from home.

"To be honest, the way things have worked out, I am happy."

McCarthy's move to Everton was completed just minutes before the transfer window closed.

And the former Hamilton Academical youngster admits it was an anxious period as he waited to seal his switch.

He said: "It was very hectic. At times it goes through your head that it might not happen.

"As time went on, it got to 10.30 at night and I was thinking to myself, 'Is is going to happen or not?' Thankfully it did and I'm just delighted to be at such a great club.

"It is a great place to be. Since I heard they were interested I wanted to come here."

No comments: