Friday, August 16, 2013

Skrtel Ready To Fight For Place At Liverpool

Martin Skrtel believes the competition for places in the Liverpool defence will see him improve, after reports linked him with a move away from the club as he was surplus to requirements.

Skrtel started 23 games for the Reds last term, but made he majority of those appearances in the first half of the season after falling out of favour with Brendan Rodgers.

With the retirement of Jamie Carragher, the Liverpool boss shrewdly brought in Kolo Toure on a free from Manchester City and the Slovakian international has welcomed the Ivorian and says that the competition will be a huge benefit to the club.

"I think it's always good when there is competition for places and it's very important for your performance," he told the club's official website. "The manager will decide who is in the best form and start that player.

"I'll do my best and all I can to make sure that I'm the one he's going to be starting with.

"Kolo is a great player. He's a very experienced player and he has been playing in the Premier League for a while. He came in to play the same position as me, so we'll see who is going to start.

"Of course I will try to improve this season because I missed the second part of last season. I tried to do my best in the pre-season and show the manager I am able to play, so we'll see how it goes this season.

"I'm ready. I was ready before and I'll always be ready. Then it's up to the manager who is going to start. I will try and I will give my all to get into the team."

Former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez had been linked with a move for Skrtel on both a permanent and loan basis after securing the signing of Pepe Reina but it now seems as though he is set to stay at Anfield and compete for his place.

No comments: