Saturday, August 03, 2013

Lucas Aiming For Brazil Return Ahead Of World Cup

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva hopes that he can still force his way back into the national team ahead of the World Cup in Brazil next year.

The Reds star has not featured for the Selecao for two years due to an anterior cruciate ligament injury and then last season's thigh problem, missing out on from Luiz Felipe Scolari's squad for the Confederations Cup this summer.

But the 26-year-old is not giving up, telling Trivela: "What I can add to Brazil is what I've been doing in Liverpool, providing security for the defensive players and to pass the ball to attack.

"This is my job and that could make me to go to the national team - and it's what I did when I worked with Mano [Menezes, former coach], with whom I had a greater role.

"Obviously, every match that passes, the chances are smaller, because there is not much time until the World Cup, so the group will be closing but I still believe I have a chance to go to the World Cup."

The midfielder, who completed 31 games in all competitions for Liverpool last season, also heaped praise on captain Steven Gerrard ahead of the England skipper's testimonial match against Olympiacos on Saturday, labelling him "a complete player".

"When you talk about Steven Gerrard, you immediately associate him with Liverpool," Lucas remarked.

"The symbol of the team is him as he has spent more than 15 years representing the club. I've never played with a player of this level, a complete player."

No comments: