Saturday, August 03, 2013

Ajax Ace Suggests He Will Snub Liverpool Interest

Toby Alderweireld appears to have ruled out a move to Liverpool by claiming he is after Champions League football.

The Ajax defender, who turned down a move to Norwich this summer, has been linked with a switch to Anfield.

Brendan Rodgers is a fan of the Belgium international, who can play as a central defender or at full-back.

A move for the 24-year-old was in the pipeline but Alderweireld says he wants to play in Europe's premier competition - something Liverpool cannot offer.

"Ajax is a club with a worldwide reputation," he said. "I play football for 50,000 fans every week and I'm assured of Champions League football.

"I've said if before - a really nice club has to come to take me away from here. Only if I can make a step forward I'll leave."

No comments: