Friday, June 07, 2013

Skrtel Desperate To Regain Reds First Team Place

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel has said that he needs to improve quickly if he wants to force his way back into the first eleven.

Skrtel lost his place in the Reds team after the defeat to Manchester United in January just making one appearance.

Manager Brendan Rodgers insists he has no intention of selling the 28-year-old but Skrtel admitted recently that he would consider any offers that came his way this summer.

With Kolo Toure to sign for the club on July 1 and the club targeting further defensive reinforcements, the former Zenit St Petersburg man could find his chances further reduced next season.

He has won praise from Rodgers for his continued professionalism and work ethic throughout the time he has found himself relegated to the bench.

“It wasn’t my best season and I know I made a few mistakes,” Skrtel admitted to the Daily Post.

“It could’ve been better and I will do my best to improve and be better in the future.

“I can always learn something new. I will try to improve my positional play and my game with the ball. Every single day I can improve something and that is what I will try to do.”

Skrtel lost his place to Jamie Carragher in the New Year but has thanked the 34-year-old for helping him to develop his career at Liverpool.

“I have to say he helped me a lot in my career at Liverpool,” he said.

“It was of benefit for me to train with players like him and Sami Hyypia - it was great for me.

“It was his decision to retire and we have to accept it and just wish him luck in his next career.”

No comments: