Saturday, June 15, 2013

Iago Aspas Insists He's No Suarez Replacement

Liverpool’s new signing Iago Aspas insists he wants to play alongside Luis Suarez.

With the future of the Uruguayan unclear after he declared he wanted to leave Anfield, the £7m spent on 25-year-old striker Aspas was seen as good business should Suarez decide to leave.

But Aspas has stressed that he is coming to Liverpool to strengthen the side, not as a replacement.

“I am excited to be going to England,” he said in the Mirror. “I want to play in the Premier League. And I hope I will be helped to settle there by all the Spanish speakers at the club, including Luis Suarez.

“Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world and I am going there to take an important step in my career, not to be a replacement for anyone.

“I think it is time for me to take the next step in my career and Liverpool can help me do that. I have confidence in my ability to move forward and to grow as a player.

“I described the move as emotional for me because it is such a big club and it means I’ve reached another level. But I am calm because I feel I am ready. I want to show that I am capable of playing at the level of this huge club.”

No comments: