Monday, April 08, 2013

Carragher: Kelly & Wisdom Are Liverpool’s Future

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher believes that Andre Wisdom and Stephen Kelly have the talent to be fixtures in the team in the future as he prepares to retire in the summer.

The 35 year old has spent the whole of his 15 year career at the Reds and believes that the two youngsters could do the same.

He told the official Liverpool FC matchday program: "You look at Andre Wisdom and Martin Kelly particularly. It's mainly because they are young centre-backs that have gone into the team playing full-back to gain experience.

"It's very hard to go straight into any Premier League team and play in the middle immediately. But they've done very well over the last 12 to 18 months.

"I'm very confident that they could play centre-back for Liverpool once they have the experience.

"Being physically stronger and quicker, if they can learn the game they can maybe have a bigger impact at the club than myself."

He also revealed that being a role model for the younger players is something that he finds natural.

"It's not something I've ever really thought about in my own mind," he considered. "It's just the way I am.

"I would never do something for effect or to impress somebody. I'm just fortunate that's the way I am. I couldn't be any different.

"It's not like I go into training some days and think, 'You know what, I'm going to have a go today.' I'm just quite competitive.

"If we have a five-a-side game or a game of possession at the end, I want to win. I was like that as a kid and I think if I played on for another four or five years I'd be the same."

No comments: