Thursday, January 31, 2013

Rodgers: The Kids Are Alright

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has highlighted the positive performance of the club's youth brigade despite his squad letting a two-goal lead slip against Arsenal in the English Premier League.

Ready to forgive and forget for the shock FA Cup defeat to Oldham, Rodgers praised the ability of Liverpool's next generation to jump back from an abysmal performance.

And in a surprise about-face from the conciliatory 40-year-old, Rodgers said it was he who should shoulder the blame for Liverpool's untimely FA Cup exit.

"Sunday was more my fault than theirs," Rodgers admitted. "I'm a great believer in young players, I look at the depth of our squad and put a lot of trust in them.

"The problem is when I put them in and I don't have some of our big players its difficult. And that's how it as on Sunday. But I never had any second thoughts that I would get a reaction."

However, Wednesday's 2-2 draw at the Emirates Stadium was another blow for the Anfield club after Theo Walcott and Oliver Giroud cancelled out the earlier strikes of Luis Suarez and Jordan Henderson, leaving Liverpool three points behind its London rival and three spots outside a Champions League berth.

No comments: