Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gerrard Eyeing Up Beckham’s England Record

England captain Steven Gerrard insists he is determined to break David Beckham’s international appearance record.

The 32-year-old Liverpool midfielder was honoured by the Football Writers’ Association at a gala tribute dinner at the Savoy hotel in London on Sunday night, with current England boss Roy Hodgson among those in attendance.

Gerrard, 32, won his 100th England cap in the friendly against Sweden in November, taking him a step nearer to Beckham’s landmark of 115, which is the most-ever for an outfield player.

Gerrard, who made his England debut against Ukraine back in 2000, and played in both the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, believes that Beckham’s total is now within reach.

‘My personal ambitions are to get as many caps as I can,’ Gerrard said.

‘I have got David Beckham’s record in my sights, so I am going to try to beat that because he is a special player.’

No comments: