Thursday, December 27, 2012

Sterling Commits International Career To England

Raheem Sterling says he is "100 per cent" committed to an international career with England, as the Liverpool winger feels he could not turn his back on the youth system which developed him as a footballer.

The 18-year-old was born in Jamaica, and could still elect to play for either nation having only featured in a friendly for the Three Lions, when he appeared as a substitute in their 4-2 defeat to Sweden in November.

However, while he has been courted from officials from both nations, the youngster is glad he made his debut for Roy Hodgson's side and wants to remain in the white shirt of England.

"I couldn't turn my back on England because I've grown up through the English youth system and progressed from there," he told reporters.

"I couldn't just switch over, I won't do that.

"Obviously I've got Jamaican roots. I was born there and my mum and family are from there, but no-one tried to put any pressure on me, which was the good thing.

"I believe it was a good thing for me to be called up and make my debut for England. It's 100% going to be England from now on."

Sterling and his mother moved from Kingston to London when he was five, and he progressed through the youth academy at QPR before moving to Liverpool in 2010.

No comments: