Saturday, November 10, 2012

Liverpool Star Hopes To Keep Torres Quiet

Martin Skrtel is determined to stop ex-Liverpool star Fernando Torres scoring against his old club when the clubs meet on Sunday.

Torres moved from Liverpool to Chelsea for £50 million in January 2011 following an impressive 81 goals and 142 appearances at the Merseyside club. This is in stark contrast to his time at Stamford Bridge where he has scored just 19 in 84 appearances.

Skrtel is not being lulled into a false sense of security and is anxious to keep the Spanish star under wraps.

"Now he is playing for Chelsea and if I play I will be marking him,” Skrtel told Liverpool’s website. "It’s going to be special but we have to look after him because even if he isn’t scoring goals at the moment he is still one of the best strikers in the world and still dangerous. We have to keep our eye on him for 90 minutes and not let him score.

“I haven’t seen Chelsea play too many times this season but from what I’ve heard his performances are better than last season. It’s going to be hard playing against him but I believe in my qualities and the quality of our team and I believe we won’t let him score.”

Asked if he would rather score himself or stop Torres scoring, Skrtel added: “Definitely stop Fernando scoring a goal because as a defender the main job on the pitch is to stop the striker scoring and try to keep a clean sheet. I always look forward to every single game I can play for this club. These big games are special and Sunday will be special.”

No comments: