Sunday, October 28, 2012

Shelvey Won’t Change His Style

Liverpool’s Jonjo Shelvey has spoken out about his row with Alex Ferguson but insists he won’t change the style of play that saw him given a red card in last month’s clash with Manchester United.

“I'd seen him (Ferguson) in the fourth official's ear after I made the tackle so as I was walking off I said: 'It's your fault I got sent off,” Shelvey told Sky Sports.

"I still stand by my decision that I wasn't going to pull out of that tackle. If I had pulled out I would have hurt myself and the fans would have gone mental."

"I knew I was in the wrong and then afterwards, as I was walking down the tunnel with my mate and his girlfriend, Ferguson was walking towards me. I just pulled him and apologized for what I had done.

"I said I was wrong and frustrated, I'm a young boy and emotions had got the better of me. But I told him I wouldn't have pulled out of the tackle if it was there. He said it was fine, that it takes a man to apologize, it was an emotional game and there are no hard feelings."

"My dad brought me up to respect people but if you have your opinion and feel you're in the right, not to be afraid to say it. I think that counts in all aspects of life. You have to fear no one - except for our manager here.

"It is about wanting to be a winner and a lot of games can be won on who wants it the most. I still stand by my decision that I wasn't going to pull out of that tackle. If I had pulled out I would have hurt myself and the fans would have gone mental."

No comments: