Monday, October 08, 2012

Liverpool Star Reveals Chelsea ‘Did Not Want Me’

Liverpool striker Fabio Borini has revealed that Chelsea did not want him when Carlo Ancelotti took charge at Stamford Bridge.

The 21-year-old worked with Brendan Rodgers during the Reds manager’s spell as a coach with the Blues, but admits he was quickly demoted when the Italian manager took charge at Stamford Bridge because he wouldn’t sign a new contract.

"Carlo Ancelotti told me that, above him, they didn't want me in the first team,” Borini told The Daily Mail.

"They said I had to play in the Chelsea reserves because I hadn't signed a new contract. It was a hard period for me and it wasn't even the manager's choice."

Borini spent time on loan at Swansea City, again working under Rodgers, before returning to his homeland with Roma when Chelsea finally sold the youngster.

However, Rodgers got the Liverpool job in the summer of 2012, and spent in the region of £10 million bringing the forward back to England.

The one-cap Italy international has since found himself in the wide positions at Anfield, but he’s eager to show his worth in the central positions when given the chance by his manager on Merseyside. Luis Suarez currently plays in the position, with only one place available in a 4-3-3 formation.

"I've always played in the middle. I find things come more naturally to me there," Borini added.

"If the ball drops in the box, I can sense how it will bounce, what a defender will do. I can read it early, it is a kind of instinct. When you play wide, you end up far away from the goal."

Borini was forced to watch his side’s latest match from the substitute’s bench, with Liverpool drawing 0-0 against Stoke City on Sunday.

No comments: