Sunday, October 07, 2012

Gerrard Reveals Agger Almost Ended His Career

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed that a challenge from Daniel Agger last season almost ended his career.

The England international makes the claim in his new book, ‘My Liverpool Story’, with the ankle problem from a freak training ground tackle almost bringing the player’s distinguished career to an abrupt conclusion.

“I don’t think people realize how close I was to not playing,” writes the 31-year-old.

“If I hadn’t had the fluid out (of my ankle) within 24 hours I wouldn’t have had a cartilage. The bug would have eaten it. I’d probably have never played again, or even trained. In my mind, as the operation began, was, ‘This could be the end’.”

Gerrard has been a professional at Anfield for 14 years, making his Reds debut in 1998 before going on to become one of the greatest players in the club’s history.

Three League Cups, two FA Cups, one UEFA Cup and one famous Champions League have all been won during his time at Liverpool, with the later victory the greatest moment of the 98-cap international’s career. Gerrard inspired a comeback from 3-0 down against AC Milan to win on penalties.

A Premier League title has always eluded the Liverpool skipper however, and he’s grateful to still be on the pitch with a chance to lift the biggest prize in domestic football as Brendan Rodgers’ revolution begins to take shape.

No comments: