Friday, October 05, 2012

Downing Disappointed By Rodgers

Liverpool’s Stewart Downing admitted he was “disappointed” by recent comments from Reds boss Brendan Rodgers regarding the winger’s future on Anfield.

Downing has been out of favour since Rodgers took the reins on the red side of Merseyside and the former Swansea boss last week questioned whether the £20million signing from Aston Villa had the “fight” to succeed at Liverpool.

While the 28-year-old revealed he was not happy about his manager's words, he insisted he was ready to work hard and show the kind of commitment that has been asked of him.

“I was disappointed by what was said but if that’s the way the manager sees it I have to take it,” Downing told the Liverpool Echo.

“That’s fine. I’ll fight, I’ll fight every day.

“I have done that since I was 10 years old when I was trying to get through at Middlesbrough.”

Downing started the season in Rodgers’ side, but was relegated to the bench after the disastrous opening day defeat to West Brom at The Hawthorns and has since found opportunities difficult to come by.

The England international was not even a substitute in the recent defeat to Manchester United and failed to get off of the bench in Liverpool’s first win of the season at Norwich City last weekend.

Despite the lack of playing time, Downing is determined to stay at Anfield and is hoping his fortunes change.

“I haven’t even considered the idea of leaving here. I’ve still got three years left on my contract and I intend to see that through. In fact I want to stay even longer than that,” he added.

“I love playing for Liverpool and it’s a great club with great fans. I don’t want to leave and I don’t want to play for anyone else.

“I’m enjoying it here. Yes, I’m disappointed that I’m not in the team at the moment but football is a funny game.

“Things can quickly change. This time next month I could be playing every week.”

No comments: