Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Jones Keen To Prove Himself At Anfield

Brad Jones is aiming to make the most of a fresh start under Brendan Rodgers by kick-starting his Liverpool career.

The goalkeeper has made six senior appearances for the club since arriving from Middlesbrough in the summer of 2010. But Rodgers has indicated he is prepared to give Jones a chance in both the Europa League and the Capital One Cup this season.

The Australian has played in two of Liverpool's five European games this season, and is set for a League Cup run-out at West Brom on Wednesday night. Pepe Reina remains Liverpool's first choice keeper, but Jones has risen from third to second in the pecking order while Alexander Doni has been on leave in Brazil.

Jones has had a difficult time off the pitch over the last two years, with his son Luca dying last November after a long battle with leukemia. On the field, Jones feels the arrival of Rodgers from Swansea in June has given him a chance to start afresh.

The 30-year-old said: "It's settled down over time off the pitch. On the pitch, this season's been a lot better for me. The new manager involves me a lot more, which was difficult last year anyway with me being here and being away.

"I've started with a clean slate, fewer things to worry about this season, and a new manager coming in. It was a case of having to prove myself all over again but it's something I feel has gone well.

"I'm hoping the manager has been happy with the way things have been going, with the way I've trained and played in the few games I've had. It does feel like starting again, and that's probably a good thing, to be honest. I can start afresh and try to push on."

Jones paid tribute to Liverpool and their fans for supporting him and his family following the loss of his son. The goalkeeper has worked over the last two years to raise funds for the Anthony Nolan Trust cancer charity, for whom his partner Dani Lawrence ran in last year's London Marathon.

Jones feels that the volume of that support he received both during his son's illness and for his charity efforts has strengthened his bond with the club.

He said: "It's incredible, really. The club and the fans have been fantastic, not only with supporting me in general but in helping out with the charity stuff we do and supporting my girlfriend when she was doing the marathons and half-marathons for charity.

"It is a special place to be. It's one big family and nothing shows that more than the way I've been treated."

No comments: