Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Liverpool Defender Commits Future To Club

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel has committed his long term future to the club by agreeing a new deal.

The 27 year-old put pen to paper on a contract extension, as talk began to swirl that he could be on his way out of Anfield.

The Slovakian international, who joined Liverpool in 2008, had been linked with a surprise switch to Premier League rivals Manchester City in recent months, after he refused to comment on his future.

However, the powerful defender has blown all talk of a transfer away by agreeing on new terms, and told the official Liverpool website how he is happy at the club.

“After last season there was a lot of talk about my future but I have to say that the first priority for me was always to sign a new deal with Liverpool.

"For me it's a great thing to play for Liverpool. I am proud to play for Liverpool with these great players - probably some of the best players in the world.

"I hope I can create history at this club and that the fans will always remember me - that's my target for the future."

Skrtel has developed into one of Europe's finest defenders since his move from Zenit St. Petersburg, and has gone on to make 175 appearances for Liverpool since.

The defender then went onto comment on the club's targets for the new season. Liverpool's new reign under Brendan Rodgers began in dismal fashion on Saturday, with the Reds losing 3-0 to West Bromwich Albion.

However, Skrtel believes that Liverpool made the right decision in appointing the former Swansea City boss, insisting that the club will play attractive football this season.

"A lot of things have changed, a new manager has come. I think we can start to make history and I want to be a part of that history,” he said.

"We have our target. For this season it is the top four and I hope we can do it. Then we will see.

"I think Brendan Rodgers showed his quality with Swansea and now he's carrying on doing that at Liverpool. He's showed he's a great manager and I hope we can play better football than we did in the last seasons and I hope we can get our target."

No comments: