Friday, August 17, 2012

Allen In Line For Reds Debut

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers admits new signing Joe Allen is in his thoughts for Saturday's Premier League opener against West Brom.

The midfielder has followed Rodgers from Swansea to Anfield this summer, with the Reds putting a big-money deal in place to bring him to Merseyside.

Allen has had a week to find his feet in new surroundings and the Wales international could now make his debut at The Hawthorns.

Asked if the 22-year-old is in contention for a starting berth, Rodgers told the club's official website: "Yes.

"We got the go ahead (to sign him) at the weekend and then he went away with his international team.

"I'm sure he's enjoyed his first couple of days here. Like I said to him, I was afforded a great welcome here by the people, the players have been brilliant since I've been here - and I'm sure it's been likewise for him, but you'll need to ask him that."

Rodgers admits he already has a starting XI in mind, but will check on the fitness of those in his plans before sending his troops into battle.

He said: "I normally have a good idea in relation to what the team will be, but there are obviously considerations I'll need to make in the next couple of days in terms of players coming back and their fitness.

"In terms of tactics and my thoughts on the game, I've already got my team in mind."

Rodgers added: "We had 16 players training on Wednesday morning, and we've obviously got a number to come back Thursday afternoon after the internationals. Touch wood, they'll all come out of that quite well.

"The players are looking fit, they look strong, and the intensity in their work has been very, very good."

No comments: