Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Suarez Swipe At English Media

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez hinted at his contempt for the English press as he prepares to return to Old Trafford this week.

The Liverpool forward is part of the Uruguay team taking on the United Arab Emirates in Group A of the Olympic football competition in Manchester on Thursday.

The fixture represents Suarez's first visit to the ground since triggering a row in February by refusing to shake hands with Manchester United's Patrice Evra - the man he was found guilty of racially abusing in October.

But Suarez does not regard that as an unnecessary distraction ahead of international duty for his country.

"I am representing Uruguay and that's all that matters to me," Suarez said.

"I said before that the English press is what matters least to me. I am proud to represent my country."

Suarez also brushed off suggestions that his knowledge of English football will help him, having played in the stadium before for his club.

"I don't really know Old Trafford that well," he added.

"I have played one match there. I have played just once at many stadiums, so I don't have to give advice to anyone on the stadiums we play at.

"It's a great stadium. What we have to do is play football at a spectacular ground."

No comments: