Saturday, May 12, 2012

Shelvey Out To Impress

Jonjo Shelvey has revealed how he is hoping to begin next season by picking up where he left off in 2011-12 and continue to challenge for a regular first-team berth.

The 20-year-old has started six of Liverpool's last seven Barclays Premier League games and claimed his first top-flight goal with a well-taken long-range effort in the 4-1 victory over Chelsea in midweek.

Shelvey is aiming to get another chance to impress in Sunday's trip to Swansea City and take his impressive form into next campaign.

"It's been great to play more regularly in recent weeks and hopefully I've shown people what I can do," Shelvey said.

"The fact that the gaffer has given me more chances towards the end of the season gives me a lot of confidence going into the summer.

"I need to go away, keep myself in shape and then come back for pre-season and really kick on next season. I want to hold down a first team place. That's the challenge facing me next season."

Shelvey spent time away from Anfield this season on loan at Blackpool, where he scored six times in 10 appearances before being recalled following an injury to Lucas Leiva.

"That time away from Liverpool really helped me come on as a player," he added.

"I benefited a lot from the games I got at Blackpool. It was good for me and I came back better for the experience. Playing week in, week out gave me that match fitness.

"It was a great club to play for and I hope they get promoted. It would be good to see them go up and get back into the Premier League.

"But the time there also made me realize just how much I want to be playing in Liverpool's first team.

"It's been a stop-start season for me but it's a great honour to play here."

No comments: