Saturday, May 12, 2012

Carroll Thanks Dalglish

Liverpool striker Andy Carroll admits he has had a disappointing campaign but has thanked manager Kenny Dalglish for sticking by him.

The England international has scored just nine goals this term in 47 appearances for the Reds, but he has bagged three in his last six games.

And whilst Carroll admits he has not been happy with his form, he is pleased with how Dalglish and the club's fans have stood by him.

"Kenny has shown a lot of faith in me," the 23-year-old said.

"I haven't had the greatest season but he has stuck by me and defended me and encouraged me a lot.

"I am confident of doing well all the time and I think it is not just the last two games, I think I have played well in a few games.

"I am enjoying it and I think you could see I have been enjoying my football and training.

"I am just confident every time I step on the pitch and I think it has shown in the last few games. I think I just needed a bit of a run.

"In training I have been doing well and all the lads have been enjoying it now.

"We have all been sticking together and playing well. I can't wait till next season."

Liverpool fans have been willing Carroll to do well ever since his arrival in January 2011 but, because he has not weighed in with the goals he was expected to and at times looked like he was struggling to fit into the system, he has come in for criticism.

Recently, the 6ft 2in striker has looked more mobile and energetic and has shown a willingness to not only get involved in build-up play but follow it through into threatening positions in the penalty area.

Having given John Terry a torrid night at Anfield, he produced the knock-down for Daniel Agger to score the third against Chelsea and also won the late first-half penalty which Stewart Downing drilled against a post.

After the break he received a standing ovation for chasing the ball into the corner to ensure Chelsea earned only a throw-in close to their own byline and the Kop sang his name on regular occasions.

"I thought the fans were great," he said. "Getting beat at the weekend I didn't know what it was going to be like, but from the minute we kicked off we were fantastic."

No comments: