Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Diame: Dalglish Sacking Prevented Deal

Mohamed Diame has revealed he had chosen to join Liverpool this summer, before the sacking of Kenny Dalglish scuppered the proposed deal.

The Senegalese midfielder will be out of contract this summer after spending three years with Wigan, and is likely to attract no shortage of suitors over the next few months.

Liverpool were one of a number of teams to be linked with Diame after it was announced he would leave the DW Stadium, and the 24-year-old claims to have met with Dalglish to discuss a move to Anfield.

Diame liked what he heard from the Liverpool boss and decided joining the Reds represented an offer too good to refuse, but the departure of Dalglish appears to have prevented a deal from being completed.

"I am free and that is why I have got a lot of clubs interested," Diame told Sky Sports News. "I have to be composed and make the big decision for my future.

"I have got some clubs from Spain, from France and Turkey but I really want to stay here in the Premier League.

"I met before with Kenny Dalglish and we talked about next season but the club decided to finish this situation. It is true I was very excited and I was choosing to go there, but I think there is an opportunity to go to another club."

A deal for Diame could perhaps be revived if Roberto Martinez is announced as Dalglish's successor, having held talks with Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group in Miami last week.

The Wigan manager is due back in England on Tuesday, and Latics chairman Dave Whelan has requested the Spaniard makes a decision on his future by Thursday.

No comments: