Sunday, April 15, 2012

Distin Takes Responsibility

Sylvain Distin felt that he had cost Everton a place in the FA Cup final after his mistake kick-started Liverpool's comeback at Wembley on Saturday.

The Toffees were leading their Merseyside rivals 1-0 when Distin attempted to pass the ball back to goalkeeper Tim Howard but only succeeded in playing in Luis Suarez.

Suarez made no mistake with a calm finish and Andy Carroll later headed in a second for the Reds to condemn Everton to a 2-1 defeat.

Distin believes his error was the turning point and apologized to his team-mates in the dressing room after the match.

He said: "I take full responsibility for that goal. I think it changed the game, so I have to accept it."

The 34-year-old's team-mates rallied around him and he added: "The guys have been amazing.

"They don't need to point at me or anything because they know I'm man enough to face my responsibilities.

"I don't need anyone to tell me what I do right or what I do wrong because I'm mature enough to know what I do right and wrong.

"That's clearly a bad mistake from me and I have to accept it, no matter the consequences. And, for me, the consequences are not going to the final, which is very disappointing.

"I know I cost a lot of people the final and it's tough to accept.

"Personally, I just want a few days to put that behind me and re-focus. That's going to be very important.

"But, right now, I have to admit it is difficult because I realize where we could've been and I feel responsible for that because we are not there.

"At the moment, I don't think too much about tomorrow. I just keep having flashbacks about this bad decision from me."

Everton remain well placed to finish above Liverpool in the Premier League but Distin insists that would be no consolation.

"No matter where we finish at the end of the season, we missed a final," said the defender.

"So, that won't make me feel better, no."

Distin, whose last Wembley appearance saw him taste FA Cup glory with Portsmouth four years ago, added: "I know what it is to win the cup and, today, I've obviously got the other extreme regarding the feeling.

"Only three years ago, I went on a high and now I leave the cup in the really wrong place, so it's two completely different feelings. That's the cup."

No comments: