Friday, December 23, 2011

Torres Rejects Exit Reports

Chelsea's £50million striker Fernando Torres has brushed off reports that the Blues could be looking to cut their losses and sell him in January.

The Spain international has endured a torrid time at Stamford Bridge since arriving from Anfield in January for a record-breaking fee, with goals and confidence in short supply.

Torres' troubles have led to suggestions that the West London club were ready to off-load him in the transfer window, speculation which was firmly rejected by manager Andre-Villas-Boas.

And now the 27-year-old has insisted that he pays no attention to the recent claims as he has little faith in the media in England.

Torres told Canal+ Liga TV: "When I read something in the Spanish press, I think so. When I read it in the English press, I know that's a lie."

The misfiring forward has scored just three times in the league since arriving at Chelsea, but insists he will get back to his best and deserves more respect from his critics.

Torres added: "It's true that Vicente Del Bosque (Spain coach) is worried about me and my form for Chelsea. It's up to me to go back to being the striker I was before.

"If I go back to how I was a few years ago, I will again play an important role in the Spanish national team.

"I am going to try to be very humble and get back into the Chelsea starting line-up. My form has not been good but I am world and European champion and I deserve more respect.

"It's hard being on the bench but I respect the players who are playing. I'm going to support the team and get back in."

And Torres has again claimed the full story over his departure from Merseyside has not been told to the Anfield club's supporters.

"The Liverpool fans don't know the truth about why I signed for Chelsea," he said.

"The fans don't even know half of what happened. They don't know what the people in charge at Liverpool are like - they have a completely different perception of what they are like.

"They made promises that they didn't keep and I left because I realized I didn't have time to be part of a project that would take years.

"I have nothing against the Liverpool fans. I didn't want to leave Liverpool the way I did but the club lied. I was let down and I don't understand why the fans hate me."

No comments: