Saturday, December 03, 2011

Suarez In Seventh Heaven

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has voiced his 'huge pride' at emulating former club legends by wearing the number seven jersey at Anfield.

The Uruguay international has followed in the footsteps of Reds heroes such as manager Kenny Dalglish and ex-frontman Kevin Keegan by donning the revered shirt.

Suarez, who arrived on Merseyside from Ajax in January, has described wearing the jersey as a 'privilege'.

He told France Football: "It gives me huge pride.

"When I think about the players who have worn it before, like Kenny Dalglish or Kevin Keegan, it's been legends at the club.

"When I go onto the pitch, I am aware of the privilege I have been given to wear that number."

Suarez says he followed Liverpool even as a youngster and admits securing a move to Anfield fulfilled a boyhood dream.

"When I was a kid playing on the PlayStation, I always chose Liverpool. I've never said it before, but they were already my team at that time," he said.

"It was funny, because at the time I played on the screen beside Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, guys who were at the club when I came.

"To me it was a dream come true."

The Uruguay international admits the Premier League is a far cry from the football he was used to playing in the Eredivisie at Ajax.

"The main difference between Ajax and Liverpool are the leagues," he added. "The Premier League is really intense and very physical.

"In England there are no easy matches - ever."

Suarez is one of just four Premier League players who have made the 23-man shortlist for this year's prestigious Ballon d'Or award.

The striker added of the accolade: "If I'm among the top 10, that in itself would be a great reward."

No comments: