Saturday, December 03, 2011

Barcelona Superstar Breaks Silence On €40m Move To Liverpool

Despite the fact that David Villa has had a slightly tough time of late at the Nou Camp, it appears as though Kenny Dalglish will not be getting his hands on the Barcelona striker.

Speaking earlier today, the prolific Spain frontman, who has scored over 50 international goals, cooled rumours of an exit.

"I feel important, and even more so when the manager speaks well of me," he explained.

"I've always had the affection of team-mates and especially the public. I noticed it since the day I arrived. So it's not vital that I score.

"I don't give any importance to what is said outside the club. I don't have to be worried about all of this, it's all the same to me. I work so that the manager, my colleagues, the fans and my family are happy, and that's the case."

Last month, top Spanish journalist Guillem Balague explained that Villa, valued at close to €40 million by Pep Guardiola, is struggling to gel with the precociously talented Argentine Lionel Messi.

“It’s important we put David Villa’s circumstances at Barcelona into context,” wrote the Spanish journalist on his personal website. “First of all, yes, I do believe that there is most definitely something to the notion that the footballing relationship between Messi and Villa is not quite as good as it could be.

“David Villa hasn’t been finding the back of the net as frequently as he has done in recent years and it must be remembered that he signed for Barcelona from a Valencia side where he was the focal point of the attack.

“At his former club, when his team had the ball, they worked to find a way supply Villa. Every attack either went through or ended up with David Villa.

“At Barcelona, Lionel Messi is the fulcrum of the attack and his teammates instinctively look to get the ball to the Argentine. For any striker, no matter who you are, that is hard to take.”

In January last year, Liverpool manager Dalglish proved that he is not shy of splashing the cash in order to bolster his attacking options, bringing in both Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez into his squad at a combined weight of around £60 million.

Given that Villa has not been performing up to his normal standards, having netted only five league goals this term, it had been thought that a Premiership move was on the cards before these latest comments.

No comments: