Thursday, December 15, 2011

Shelvey Wants To Take Chance

Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey feels sorry for his team-mates who have suffered injury or suspension, but he is ready to step up as a replacement.

The £1.7million signing from Charlton in May 2010 was at the beginning of December recalled from a loan at Blackpool by boss Kenny Dalglish after Lucas Leiva's season was ended by knee surgery.

Jay Spearing has since also been made unavailable after being sent off at Fulham and he served the first of a three-match suspension in last Saturday's win over QPR.

Shelvey, who scored six goals in 10 appearances during his two months at Blackpool, was a late substitute in the victory and, ahead of Sunday's trip to Aston Villa, he is hoping for more opportunities.

"Obviously it was really unfortunate for Lucas to get such a bad injury and then for Jay to get a ban as well," said the 19-year-old in the Liverpool Echo.

"With a few players missing, there's definitely an opening there, but it's down to the gaffer whether he wants to pick me.

"When my time comes, I'll be waiting and ready to take my chance."

Shelvey thinks his time at Blackpool helped his development and manager Ian Holloway was very impressed by the teenager.

The England Under 21 international now hopes to continue his form with Liverpool and catch the eye of Dalglish.

"I feel that the time I spent away from the club really helped me come on as a player," said Shelvey. "But it also made me realize just how much I want to be playing in Liverpool's first team.

"There's a big difference between Championship football and Premier League football.

"It's so good to be back in and around the squad. I only got on for a few minutes on Saturday, but it was really special to be back out there on the pitch in front of the fans. It's always a great honour to play for Liverpool.

"Kenny called me back and hopefully now I can show the gaffer what I can do. I've got to deliver day in, day out in training and try to force my way into his plans."

No comments: