Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Enrique Insists He Deserves A Chance To Prove His Worth For Spain

Liverpool's Jose Enrique insists he should be given a chance to prove his worth in the Spanish national team ahead of next summer’s European Championships.

The left-back has impressed at Anfield since joining from Newcastle United in the summer, but as of yet has failed to feature for his country above under-21 level.

The 25-year-old is eager to receive the recognition of Spain coach Vicente del Bosque, and believes that playing for an established club such as Liverpool should aid his goal of gaining a Euro 2012 call-up.

"I think I deserve a chance," he told Marca.

"I think that just for the fact that I've managed to play for a team like Liverpool, they should be thinking of me.”

Valencia full-back Jordi Alba is currently first choice for the position, and Enrique was quick to note that the 22-year-old '"is doing a very good job" for the national side.

No comments: