Saturday, November 12, 2011

Jordan Henderson Wants Team GB Olympic Captaincy

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson says he wants to captain Team GB at the Olympic Games after manager Stuart Pearce handed him the armband for the England Under-21s.

Henderson made a big money move from Sunderland to Liverpool during this summer and is so far yet to produce his best form for his new club, but has received a welcome boost from Pearce, who will also manage the British Olympic side.

The 21-year old was made captain of Pearce’s England Under-21 team, leading to suggestions that Henderson could be given the same role at the Olympic Games in 2012.

“I’m happy with the way things have gone,” Henderson said in an article in The Mirror.

“I went to Liverpool and I’m improving, there are great players I can learn from and I love playing for England ­Under-21s.

“I tend not to think about the captaincy too much – I’m still a player for the team and I need to focus on my job – but I try to lead by example.”

Henderson is unlikely to be involved in England’s Euro 2012 campaign and admits he already has one eye on the Olympics next summer.

“Everyone would love to play in the Olympic team.

“Anyone who is picked will be grateful. It should be British players, not just English players, but that’s not up to me.”

No comments: