Sunday, November 13, 2011

Holloway Gives Shelvey New Role

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway believes a new role behind the strikers is bringing out the best of loanee Jonjo Shelvey.

The Liverpool midfielder is on loan with the Seasiders until the end of December and has so far netted five goals in seven games.

This included a hat-trick against Leeds United while playing in a more advanced role.

Holloway said: "I played Jonjo in a slightly different role in the Leeds and Millwall games. I talked to him about movement because I feel he is very good at that.

"He has obviously got a lot of talent and he is playing well at the moment. He just needs to keep it going every week because that's what top players do."

The England U21 international is enjoying the freedom that Holloway has granted him as he continues to gain first-team experience in the Championship.

Shelvey said: "I'm now playing in a role that I've played for England a few times and it suits me.

"You just roam about the pitch, try to get on the ball and make things happen.

"With my forward running, I think I can break and score goals. I proved that at Leeds, setting up the first goal and scoring a few as well. I like the position the manager has put me in.

"You always want more goals but I am happy with five in seven. I'm pleased with the way I've played in most games, but there have been a few when I've not been at the races.

"But against Leeds and Bristol City (Shelvey's debut) and in the second half of the Burnley game I think I've done well, so I'm generally very happy."

No comments: