Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Spearing Targets Reds Recall

Jay Spearing has vowed to win his place back in the Liverpool side and insists he is ready to face Stoke in the Carling Cup if selected.

The miniature dynamo has seen his chances in midfield restricted this term, as Kenny Dalglish recruited a number of players who could play in that position over the summer.

However, the intensity of his training levels has not dropped as he bids to prove he is deserving of a place in the team.

"It has been a mixed season for me so far," Spearing said ahead of Wednesday's game against Stoke.

"With the new players that have come in I haven't had as many chances as I would have liked, but at the end of the day it's down to me to keep working hard every day in training, and show the manager I deserve a chance when the time comes.

"I have to look at the positive side of things. The boss has put me on the bench for every Premier League game so far and I have played in the Carling Cup games, so I can't complain about that."

Spearing could be selected for the fourth round Carling Cup clash as Dalglish seeks to reinvigorate the team after their 1-1 draw with Norwich at Anfield.

He added: "I've got to do everything I can in training to show the boss I am ready if he needs me to play against Stoke.

"If I do get the chance to play it will be a massive game for me.

"They have a lot of six-foot-plus lads in their team and it's a chance for me to show that I can be put up against anyone, of stature and size, whoever, and do a good job for the team."

No comments: