Thursday, October 27, 2011

Henderson Admits Being Too Cautious For Liverpool

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson says he is looking to start playing more adventurously to try and create chances for his team-mates.

The former Sunderland man has hardly set Anfield alight since his summer move, reported to be between £16- 20 million, and he says he is going to start playing more adventurously in an attempt to unlock defences.

Henderson told LFC Magazine: "It is important [to maintain possession] to a certain extent.

"Sometimes I can be a little bit cautious, if you like, in keeping the ball, playing a safe pass rather than an adventurous one. Sometimes I need to take more risks going forward.

"I definitely think I need to do that in games; look for the runners and give it quickly, those little balls through – create a chance for someone.

"At times I can be a little bit safe but I know with hard work and listening, I'll get better."

The 21-year-old knows all about the pressures of playing for a big team having been a regular for Sunderland, but he admits Liverpool is a massive step up.

He continued: "Liverpool's got huge expectation. Sunderland's a very big club as well - you only have to see the size of the stadium and the passion of the supporters on the street to understand that.

"At Liverpool, it's even higher, with the history, the trophies and the players that have been here. I don't think that affects the players at all, though.

"The manager's judgement is second to none and he wouldn't have brought any of us here if he didn't feel we could deal with it. It's as I thought it would be. There's massive pressure here. It's all about how you deal with it. Of course it will be difficult at times but if you react in the right way, it's fine.

"A lot of football is in the mind and I know that I'm strong enough to continue believing in myself. As a player, I just concentrate on what I need to do."

No comments: