Tuesday, October 04, 2011

England Defender Reveals Liverpool Advances

Leighton Baines has revealed that Liverpool hatched a plan to snatch him away from Everton during the summer transfer window.

The England full back, linked with Manchester City among others, has quickly turned into one of the Toffees' star turns with his dazzling crosses and runs from the left-back position.

But Baines says that despite the interest from Liverpool, there was only one place he wanted to play his football.

"I was made aware of it, but as far as I am concerned, it was never an option," he said.

"When you're from Liverpool, it's either Liverpool or Everton, one and not the other.

"For me, it wouldn't have got beyond the story stage. You are one and you stick with that - you don't do both.

"If you're brought up in the area and know what it means to everyone, you understand it more. Once you know the people and you're a part of it, it's not something you do.

"My family is still split," said the defender. "There has been no crossover to Everton from the Reds in my family since I joined the club. They still want Liverpool to win.

The Everton defender also says that interest from Bayern Munich was also strong, and Baines admits playing at the highest level is something that appeals.

"It wouldn't be ideal leaving this league, but I do have ambitions to get to the Champions League level and hopefully the tide will turn at some point and enable us to do that here," he said.

"It would mean a lot to do it here. It has been a while since Everton were at that level and it looks a tougher task, given the money other teams are spending.

"I do have those ambitions to play at that level. Sir Alex Ferguson said this week that the Champions League is bigger than anything and it is. It is the pinnacle and everyone would like to get there. I will just get my head down and keep doing what I am doing."

No comments: