Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Adam Advice Helps Reds Starlet

Jonjo Shelvey has thanks Liverpool teammate Charlie Adam for his advice after impressing on loan debut for Blackpool.

The England youth international described his first appearance for the Tangerines as 'perfect' after scoring from distance with a free kick in a 5-0 romp against Bristol City.

Ian Holloway has reportedly been tracking the teenager for some time, and Shelvey admits the short-term move came about after conversations with Scottish international Adam, who was Blackpool captain for their Npower Championship promotion and subsequent relegation last term.

"I had been to see Kenny Dalglish and asked if I could go on loan to get some games. I had read things in the paper and seen that Blackpool was interested, as well as a few other clubs," said the playmaker.

"But I wanted to come here because it is local to Liverpool and has great fans. I spoke to Charlie Adam about it and he told me to come to the club.

"Charlie told me how passionate the supporters are and I witnessed that on Saturday - it was pretty thrilling to play in front of them. I am already looking forward to the next home match against Doncaster because I can't wait to play in front of them again."

Holloway is understandably delighted to have the former Charlton Athletic starlet at his disposal, and is predicting big things for the player in the future, not just at Bloomfield Road.

"Jonjo has been a star in the making for a long time, and sometimes when you go to a club of the size of Liverpool, where you are playing for a huge amount of money, it takes you a while to settle," said the manager.

"He is frustrated he isn't playing, so let's give him some games. I was confident enough to put him straight in because I have been waiting for him."

No comments: