Sunday, September 04, 2011

Meireles - I Am No Judas

Raul Meireles insists he did not leave Liverpool for Chelsea because of financial reasons.

The Portuguese midfielder was a surprise departure from Anfield in the closing stages of transfer deadline day.

Meireles handed in a transfer request prior to sealing his move to Stamford Bridge just before the close of the transfer window.

The 28-year-old found himself down the pecking order at Liverpool at the start of the season, but he is adamant his move to Stamford Bridge had nothing to do with money.

"These are things that happen in football. I can only say good things about Liverpool, it was a fantastic year," Meireles told RTPN.

"People think I am a Judas and that it was because of the money. It was not because of that, I will explain it later, things are still fresh.

"It all happened very fast. I am not the only one to blame for my exit from Liverpool, but I will never stop loving the club and I have great friends there."

Meireles admitted linking up again with former Porto coach Andre Villas-Boas played a big part in his decision to move to Chelsea.

"I was very happy with his interest in my signature," added Meireles. "The most important thing is to give my all every time and try to help Chelsea win titles."

No comments: