Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Kevin Keen On His Dream Job At Liverpool FC

New Liverpool coach Kevin Keen says he is “privileged, proud and honoured to be part of such a fantastic club.”

And the 44-year-old former West Ham midfielder is even prepared to forgive Kenny Dalglish for spoiling his Football League debut 25 years ago!

Dalglish appointed Keen as first team coach yesterday following Sammy Lee’s departure, with Steve Clarke moving up to assistant manager.

And Keen admitted that the Upton Park afternoon in September 1986 when the reigning champions put five past a side which had run the Reds close to the title just four months earlier, had already been discussed.

“It’s already been mentioned,” joked Keen after completing his first training session at Melwood yesterday.

“I was a sub that day and we lost 5-2. I think Kenny was a sub as well but he scored a couple of goals. It wasn’t often that West Ham beat Liverpool!”

Keen signed a three year deal and took his first coaching session at Melwood as the Reds senior stars returned to pre-season training.

“I feel really privileged, proud and honoured to be here and to be part of such a fantastic club,” he explained.

“I grew up in the 70s and 80s, during the glory times for Liverpool when they were winning European Cups and winning the league every year. They are memories from my childhood.

“In my eyes Liverpool are one of the greatest clubs in the world so I am really quite humbled to be here.

“I was back coaching at West Ham for nine years and was a player at West Ham for nine years as well, so they have been a big part of my life. When I got the call from Liverpool I thought the timing was perfect for me.

“To come here and be a part of what Kenny, Steve Clarke, Damien and the owners are looking to do in taking the club forward is very exciting.

“I know Steve very well from my West Ham days and learnt a lot from him when he was assistant manager to Gianfranco Zola. He’s very meticulous with his planning, he’s a fantastic coach and a really nice person to work with.

“I want to come in here and to contribute to us winning trophies for the supporters.

“We’ve a lot of work to do between now and the first match of the season against Sunderland but for me, this is where I want to be. I want to be out training and to help players improve, whether they’re 16, 17 or 18 or whether they’re 33. I want to get the best out of everyone.”

As a player Keen made more than 200 appearances for West Ham in the 80s and 90s, helping The Hammers to promotion in 1990–91 and to the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

His final game for West Ham in May 1993 was another promotion clincher to the top flight, this time against Cambridge, before a dispute over a new contract saw him drop down a division and join Wolverhampton Wanderers.

No comments: