Friday, June 10, 2011

Liverpool Complete Jordan Henderson Deal

Liverpool has completed the signing of Jordan Henderson from Sunderland.

The 20-year-old England international passed his medical and agreed personal terms with the club on Thursday in a deal reported to be worth £20m.

Henderson, the club's first summer signing, signed what Liverpool described as 'a long-term deal'.

"I'm over the moon, overjoyed to be here and I'm really looking forward to it," Henderson told the Liverpool website.

"Obviously it's hard to leave your local club. I'm a Sunderland lad, I've supported them all my life.

"But I'm really looking forward to the future now and obviously this is a massive opportunity for me. I'm really excited by it."

The midfielder, whose one and only cap for England came last November against France, has now joined the England Under-21 squad in Denmark ahead of the European Championship.

The Black Cats had rejected Liverpool's previous offer for the player, which was thought to be worth £16m.

Striker David Ngog, 22, could move in the opposite direction as part of the deal, but that is yet to be confirmed.

Henderson will provide competition in the Reds' midfield, which already boasts internationals Steven Gerrard, Lucas Leiva, Raul Meireles and Christian Poulsen.

"Coming to a massive club like Liverpool, there is always going to be competition," added Henderson. "Hopefully I can keep working hard, keep improving, and get my chance on the pitch.

"(Gerrard) is one of the best players in the world, you want to be playing with him and training with him to try and improve yourself as a player. Hopefully I can learn a lot from him."

No comments: