Friday, June 10, 2011

Henderson 'Over The Moon' After Signing Anfield Deal

Jordan Henderson has spoken of his excitement at signing for Liverpool after the midfielder's move from Sunderland was confirmed yesterday.

Henderson has put pen to paper on what the Merseyside club have described as a "long-term deal" having visited the Reds' Melwood training complex, undergone a medical and agreed personal terms on Wednesday. Liverpool has paid an undisclosed fee for the highly rated 20-year-old, with reports suggesting it could be up to £20m.

"I'm over the moon, overjoyed to be here and I'm really looking forward to it," said Henderson. "I was flattered to know Liverpool were interested in me and, once I knew, it was a massive decision for me to make but also a massive opportunity.

"Obviously it's hard to leave your local club. I'm a Sunderland lad, I've supported them all my life.

"But I'm really looking forward to the future now and obviously this is a massive opportunity for me. I'm really excited by it."

Henderson is Liverpool's first signing of the summer and -- following the captures of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January -- the third high-profile new recruit since Fenway Sports Group's takeover of the club and Kenny Dalglish's return as manager.

The Sunderland youth academy graduate made his Black Cats debut in a 5-0 defeat to Chelsea in November 2008. In total he has made 79 appearances for the Wearsiders, scoring five goals, and he also spent a spell on loan at Coventry in the 2008-09 season.

It had been thought Liverpool striker David Ngog might travel in the opposite direction as part of the transfer. He remains at Anfield for now, but Reds director of football Damien Comolli has indicated the 22-year-old could still be headed for the Stadium of Light.

No comments: